http://funnyfornothingblog.wordpress.com asked me my favorite tv show the other day bringing back so many memories of life with only three or four real tv channels and running home from the bus stop not to miss my favorite episodes. They really did rule my little world. I learned not to mess with tiki dolls like Bobby did in Hawaii. I learned not to pretend I’m Ginger when I’m really more like Maryann. I learned not everyone can rock the Farah Fawcett hairstyle especially with a cowlick.
My favorite show of all was The Partridge Family and there are many life lessons in their adventures.
1. Great hair is the key to success – Susan Dey and David Cassidy had incredible hair. Danny Bonaduce, former wrestler and rehab patient, did not have great hair. I rest my case.
2. Never ever name your child Ruben – the name Ruben should be reserved for poorly dressed sex offenders.
3. School busses don’t have second lives – The Partridge kids came from the school of hard knocks. I don’t care how psychedelic and comfy that bus was, it had to be traumatizing to spend that much time on a school bus. Too bad Pimp My Ride wasn’t around back in the day.
4. Before People Magazine’s Sexiest Man Alive – The Partridge Family Christmas Album had a real Christmas card inside the album cover signed Love David Cassidy. It was like Keith sent it directly to me. The Beibs could learn a thing or two about hotness from Keith Partridge.
5. Olson twins or die – Never be the youngest kids on a television sitcom unless you are adorable blonde twin girls with an Uncle Jesse.
I desperately wanted to be a Partridge, I’d even be the one to hold the tambourine. But then again I also wanted to be stuck on a deserted island with the Professor and I wanted five siblings like the Brady Bunch. But looking at the state of child stars today, maybe I was better off playing kickball on a suburban New Jersey street only dreaming of Keith. Come on, get happy.